Soooo, I’ve had quite a few people ask me about how I made my slime costume! Apparently Pinterest peeps really dig it :)
My “I GOT SLIMED” costume is kinda my slimepunk take on what a librarian in Ghostbusters would have looked like after Slimer came through and trashed the place :D
I figured out how to do this off of the top of my head, out of a mix of curiosity and a healthy dose of desperation to figure out a good Hallowe’en costume. IT WORKED.
How to make my slimy slime slimepunk headpiece:
- Get a mannequin.
- Cover the mannequin in tons of saran wrap.
- Buy A LOT OF HOT GLUE. LIKE WAYYYYYYYYY TOO MUCH HOT GLUE. NOW MORE. It has to be the milky clear kind, I think. The clear shiny type probably won’t work as well but I haven’t tested it.
- Get a couple of glue guns and heat them up at the same time.
- Push the glue out of the glue guns as fast as you can onto the mannequin’s head. Make BIG blobs with HOT hot glue. Aim to get as much out in one glue gun shot at a time.
- Give that sucker at least a full day to cool down and set. Be careful taking it off of the mannequin.
- Buy a can of neon green spray paint, then take the slime outside and spray ‘er down. Observe my #PROTIPZ below for pointers.
SLIME MAKING #PROTIPZ
- VERY VERY VERY hot glue works best, in order to get the nice blobs, especially at the start.
- Rotate your glue guns as you go, making sure they are very hot before starting each round.
- Work on the outline of the shape you want as a base at first, so you don’t run into weirdness later on.
- Don’t let the blobs cool down and dry too much between rounds. Having them be warm and tacky (like me!) between rounds makes them more stable as a unit.
- Buy some velcro strips and hot glue the spiky side into the inside of the slime headpiece. This helps it stay in place a bit, like a teency comb.
- On the first coat of spray paint, focus on the “hard to get” places between the crevices.
- On the second coat of spray paint, focus on the INSIDE of the slime blob.
- On the third+ coats of spray paint, do light rounds all over.
- Let each coat of spray paint dry fully between rounds. Like seriously, let it dry FULLY or you will be sorrrrr-yyyyy!
- Make little slime bit pins, or perhaps a shoulder slime blob to complete the look.
Please send me pix if you end up making a slime piece! I would SERIOUSLY LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU MAKE <3
Email: otherartists at gmail